Sunday, September 21, 2008

Work Portraits

When I was asked to take the head shots for work this summer, I decided to take a different approach at each site. I thought that I would try a light, medium gray, and black background using a one, two and three light set-up. You may be surprised at which background had the least number of lights. Oh yeah.... There was no PhotoShop trickery done here.

The first set-up is three lights. A main light to the right of the camera, a hair light to the left of and behind the subject, and the final light aimed towards a white sheet of background paper. Here are a couple of shots with that set-up.




Next I used a single light to the right of the subject and had them backed up against a white background. Here are a couple of shots from that set-up.




Finally, I went dark with one light to the right of the subject, a reflector on the left, with the final light directly behind the subject pointed back at the camera. Here are a couple of shots from that set-up.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work Dave. What modifier were you using in the one light shots? The second one-light is my favorite from the whole set.

September 21, 2008 9:14 PM  
Blogger Dave Ryan said...

Always (almost) a 60" shoot through umbrella. I'm glad you like them.

September 21, 2008 10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home